Fellow Traveller Games
Based in Melbourne, Australia
August 12, 2015
Hacknet is an immersive, terminal-based hacking simulator for PC. Dive down a rabbit hoIe as you follow the instructions of a recently deceased hacker, whose death may not have been the accident the media reports. Using old school command prompts and real hacking processes, you’ll solve the mystery with minimal hand-holding and a rich world full of secrets to explore.
Bit, a hacker responsible for creating the most invasive security system on the planet, is dead. When he fails to reconnect to his system for 14 days, his failsafe kicks in, sending instructions in automated emails to a lone user. You are that user, and it’s up to you to unravel the mystery and ensure that Hacknet-OS doesn't fall into the wrong hands.
Exploring the volatile nature of personal privacy, the prevalence of corporate greed, and the hidden powers of hackers on the internet, Hacknet delivers a unique hacking simulation, while offering a support system that allows total beginners get a grasp of the real-world applications and commands found throughout the game.
DEVELOPER: TEAM FRACTAL ALLIGATOR
Named after the most mathematically horrifying animal, Team Fractal Alligator is a one person team based in Adelaide, Australia, founded by Matt Trobbiani. Matt has been designing and developing games for most of his life, starting out with GameMaker and Warcraft 3 custom maps, before moving on to find more flexibility in C# and custom engines. He specialises in designing immersive, mechanically interesting experiences. For its work on Hacknet, Team Fractal Alligator was awarded the 2014 AGDA Innovation Award and was a nominated finalist for Tech at Freeplay 2015, among numerous other awards.
- Real hacking: Based on actual UNIX commands, Hacknet focuses on real hacking, not the Hollywood-style version of it. This creates a truly immersive experience and puts players right in the thick of trying to break through the firewalls.
- Unlock the mystery of Bit: A hacker is dead and the media reports don’t add up. When you are contacted by his “ghost”--an automated failsafe system--you’re drawn into the dark and murky world of underground hackers.
- Full immersion: You are thrust into a persistent virtual world with no “levels” or obvious game elements to break the illusion. Follow the guidance of the emails from Bit or just dive down the rabbit hole, chasing down clues and snippets of information you find as you explore different systems.
- Accessible, but uncompromising: While avoiding hand-holding and dumbing down, the design of the game and the learning curve enables those with no prior terminal experience to enjoy it, while delighting those in the know.
- Killer tunes: Hack to the beat of a soundtrack featuring underground artists, including Remi AKA The Algorithm.
Hacknet Reveal Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "WINNER - Innovation Award" Australian Game Developer Awards, 2014
- "FINALIST - Tech" Freeplay Awards, 2015
- "It’s the closest thing to a real life hacking sim I’ve ever seen."
- Mark Serrels, Kotaku
- "I’m really digging the look of Hacknet"
- Alice O'Connor, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
About Fellow Traveller Games
Fellow Traveller is an indie games label exploring the possibility space of what games can be. Passionate about the vast and untapped potential of games as a medium, its mission is to seek out pioneering game developers working on unusual games with narrative at their core, help these developers bring their creations to the world and to connect them with players looking for something different.
Formerly known as Surprise Attack Games, the label was founded in 2011 and rebranded as Fellow Traveller in 2018. You may know them for the hacking game using real unix commands (Hacknet), the surveillance thriller series that puts you in the shoes of Big Brother (Orwell), the sad game about an elderly goat farmer (The Stillness of the Wind) or the dystopian steampunk mini-golf adventure game (Vertiginous Golf).
More information on Fellow Traveller Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Founder & Development, Team Fractal Alligator
Rico Pustel & Timo Jhans
Remi AKA The Algorithm
Product Manager & Community Manager, Surprise Attack Games
Business Development Manager, Surprise Attack Games
Finance Manager, Surprise Attack Games