Fellow Traveller Games
Based in Melbourne, Australia
September 14, 2017
A hand-drawn tribute to hilarious '90s adventure games (with none of the accompanying frustration). Play as Joey Claire, a puzzle-solving teen snatched out of her time (1994) and place (Earth) and stranded on a hostile alien planet on the brink of rebellion. Monsters in the yard. Monsters in the house. Monsters in the hall, beating on your door. Your brother's trapped in his treehouse, so he’s not gonna be much help. You're going to have to get yourself out of this. But where did they come from? How are you supposed to deal with this? Well, certainly not by cowering in your room. That's for, uh, cowards. First things first. You need to open the door.
DEVELOPER: What Pumpkin Games
What Pumpkin Games is an indie developer originally founded by Andrew Hussie, American author and artist who created the original MS Paint Adventures webcomic series including the much loved ‘Homestuck’. The team is a small yet diverse group of talented writers, artists and developers. As fans of the franchise, they lovingly create video game experiences based on the Homestuck universe for fans world wide.
- A LOVE LETTER TO '90s ADVENTURE GAMES ...without the accompanying frustration. As fun and well-paced as you generously remember them being. No dream-logic solutions, no hearing the same “those items don’t work together” message over and over. HIVESWAP has unique responses for everything you can try. Spend hours trying everything on everything, if you want to -- but not because you have to. Learn about the characters by exploring their homes! But like, in a good way! No audio logs split up and scattered around -- GUARANTEED.
- HAND-ANIMATED IN TWO DIMENSIONS Strange homes to explore, every room brimming with secrets. The world of HIVESWAP is beautiful and alive, from its hyper-detailed environments to its gorgeous fully-rendered animations. Come take a look!
- MUSIC TO MAKE YOU WEEP An eclectic, ambitious, genre-spanning soundtrack, featuring contributions from Undertale’s Toby Fox and, regrettably, at least one third-wave ska song. Also featuring at least one pseudo-revolutionary garage rock duo, with regrets of their own.
- WORLDS TO SEE, TEENS TO BE Play as JOEY CLAIRE, EXTRAORDINAIRE, a teen trapped in her room *and* in 1994. Play as JUDE HARLEY, BIZARRELY, her kid brother, trapped in his treehouse. Play as XEFROS TRITOH, ALIEN REBEL, wait. Aliens?
- JUST GETTING STARTED HIVESWAP: Act 1 is the first of a four-part series set in Andrew Hussie’s Homestuck universe, with a companion series, Hauntswitch, to follow. Continue your save from chapter to chapter, then from game to game, to carry your story, choices, friendships and frenemies across them all--then do it again! Once released, HIVESWAP and Hauntswitch will be playable in either order. Haven’t read Homestuck? That’s fine! This game is set in 1994! Homestuck hasn’t even been invented yet!
Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Hiveswap. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About Fellow Traveller Games
Fellow Traveller is an indie games label exploring the possibility space of what games can be. Passionate about the vast and untapped potential of games as a medium, its mission is to seek out pioneering game developers working on unusual games with narrative at their core, help these developers bring their creations to the world and to connect them with players looking for something different.
Formerly known as Surprise Attack Games, the label was founded in 2011 and rebranded as Fellow Traveller in 2018. You may know them for the hacking game using real unix commands (Hacknet), the surveillance thriller series that puts you in the shoes of Big Brother (Orwell), the sad game about an elderly goat farmer (The Stillness of the Wind) or the dystopian steampunk mini-golf adventure game (Vertiginous Golf).
More information on Fellow Traveller Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
What Pumpkin Games